A family get together in Quebec to celebrate the arrival of a new baby boy suddenly turned sour past weekend when a family member discovered a piece of a catheter inside ice cream.
Three people had already started eating the Coaticook brand ice cream flavoured with pecan nuts, chocolate and double caramel when one of the guests – the new grandfather – felt something hard in his mouth.
He spit it out and saw it was a piece of a catheter.
After calling Quebec’s health line, the family was told to go to a hospital for HIV testing, as well as for Hepatitis A, B and C.
The family members eating the ice cream will need to have blood tested for 6 months.
Representatives for the ice cream producer say it’s the first time the company has received such a complaint.