BRAMPTON, ON – Today, Mayor Patrick Brown announced that the City of Brampton will provide rent relief to small business and non-profit tenants across 41 City facilities.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, with direction from Peel Public Health, all City facilities remain closed until further notice. Due to these unprecedented and challenging times, the City recognizes the economic impact it has on businesses and organizations that are tenants of City facilities.
Based on the recommendation of City Staff, the City will defer rent payments for its not-for-profit and small for-profit tenants for a period of three months, and will waive payments for its non-profit tenants who are unable to access new Federal programs, for a period of 3 months. This relief will support more than half of the City’s 81 tenants.
With respect to the current state of the City’s tenants, some have been forced to shut down due to the Provincial orders restricting non-essential businesses, while others have chosen to do so to adhere to physical distancing.
Council will receive information on this decision in a report to the April 8th meeting of Council.
The City is committed to keeping Brampton residents informed and will continue to provide updates on the City’s response to COVID-19 as they become available.
For more information on the above decisions and the City’s efforts to support the community in response to COVID-19, visit www.brampton.ca/COVID19 or follow @CityBrampton on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
• At present, the City has 81 tenants across 41 facilities.
• Currently, the City collects $302,134.68 in rent monthly. The waiving of rent for three months for all non-profit organizations within City-owned buildings would cost the City $202K.
• Currently, the City has not restricted access to any tenanted space and has communicated to tenants that it is their business decision as to whether or not they want to shut down operations, as the City will continue to facilitate access if needed. However, in light of the current and unprecedented circumstances, some tenants have begun to inquire as to rent relief during the shutdown period.
“Supporting our small business and non-profit community organizations is crucial during this difficult economic time. While City Hall and City facilities are closed until further notice, the City has moved our payments to vendors from 30 days to 14 days. Today, we are taking the additional measure of direct rent relief to the City’s small profit and non-profit tenants so that we can support these groups and small businesses that are an important part of Brampton’s community fabric.”
– Patrick Brown, Mayor, City of Brampton
“The City is a supportive partner to our small business and non-profit tenants in over 41 city facilities. While City facilities remain closed on Provincial and Public Health Direction, the City is providing relief to the businesses and organizations that are, in other circumstances, a helpful source of revenue for the City. Today’s announcement supports their ongoing business needs during COVID-19, and we will continue to work with them in a collaborative way in the coming months.”
– David Barrick, Chief Administrative Officer, City of Brampton
“Now more than ever, it’s crucial that our community continues to provide a safe, supportive place for those most vulnerable to the impacts of COVID-19. Today’s announcement helps Boys and Girls Club of Peel in doing just that. I would like to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to the City of Brampton and Council for their continued support and compassion for Brampton’s youth during this time.”
– Michael J. Gyovai, Executive Director, Boys and Girls Club of Peel
“SportFix has called Brampton home for more than 30 years, providing professional sporting services to our healthy and active community. Although our home location at South Fletcher’s Sportsplex is facing tough times as a result of COVID-19, today’s announcement by the City of Brampton will help provide the much needed relief during this challenging time.”
– Michael Gout, Owner, SportFix