Magnets removed from boy’s nose in an creative way.

Written by Meeshika Sharma

Published on : October 31, 2017 4:53




Doctors found an innovative way to take out 2 small magnets from an 11 year old’s nose in Cyprus. They found a creative way to use his problem as a solution.

The 11-year-old boy arrived at the hospital with two small button magnets lodged up his nose.

The boy, who lives in Nicosia, Cyprus, placed one small magnetic disk in the shape of a watch battery up each nostril while he was at school last fall. The powerful neodymium magnets, one of the strongest magnets currently available, immediately attracted to each other on either side of the boy’s nasal septum, said  Dr. Kadir C. Kazikdas, a professor of Otorhinolaryngology at Nicosia’s Near East University who operated on the boy.

Approximately six hours after he inserted the magnets, the student was taken to the emergency room with severe pain, abundant nose bleeding and crusting inside of his nose.I wasn’t clear whether or not the magnets were still inside the boy’s nose upon initial examination by emergency room doctors because the boy was unco-operative and there was too much crusting inside of his nose.

Dr. Kazikdas said that it wasn’t until the patient was transferred to the hospital’s Ear, Nose and Throat Department (ENT) and given a facial X-ray that doctors were able to see the magnets locked together in his nose.

“I had gently tried to take them out using conventional surgical instruments but it was impossible!” Dr. Kazikdas explained.The boy was at risk of septal perforation, in which a tiny hole develops inside the septum. He was also susceptible to the development of necrosis, or dying tissue, if the magnets weren’t taken out as soon as possible.

Eventually, the doctors came up with an ingenious way to remove the magnets – using other household magnets placed on the outside of the boy’s nose to counteract the pull of the internal magnets.

Dr. Kazikdas said, “We managed to remove the left-sided magnet easily, or it actually fell off from the place where it was stuck,” Dr. Kazikdas said. “It took seconds to remove the other magnet with this method.”

He added, “Six months later, the boy showed no signs of permanent damage and he was able to breathe comfortably through his nose during a follow-up examination.”