Ottawa (Canada), December 28: In the latest update to the India-Canada diplomatic row over the killing of Sikh separatist Hardeep Singh Nijjar earlier this year, two men, who authorities suspect fatally shot him in British Columbia, are being watched by the police and are anticipated to be caught within the next few weeks, The Globe and Mail reported citing sources.
The Canadian media report said three sources have told the media publication that the suspected killers did not leave Canada after Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot dead in Surrey and have been under the surveillance of the police for months. The Globe and Mail is a Canadian newspaper printed in five cities in western and central Canada.
Moreover, two of the sources also stated that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are expected to make arrests and lay charges in the coming weeks, The Globe and Mail reported. Notably, the ties between India and Canada have been strained after Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau made allegations of Indian involvement in the murder of Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar on Canadian soil earlier this year.
Hardeep Singh Nijjar was shot dead outside a gurdwara in Canada's Surrey on June 18. According to sources, when the charges are laid against the two men, the police will reveal their role as well as the Indian government's. The Globe is not naming the sources because they are not authorised to speak publicly about national security or police concerns. It is unclear whether the RCMP will arrest any suspected accomplices in the slaying.
At this time, the RCMP has not commented or given a response to questions from The Globe about the investigation and whether charges were imminent. Earlier, in September this year, Justin Trudeau alleged the involvement of "agents of the Indian government" in the killing of the Sikh leader. India rejected the allegations as "absurd and motivated" and expelled a Canadian diplomat in a tit-for-tat move after Ottawa asked a senior Indian diplomat to leave.
New Delhi also halted visa services to Canada, but later decided to resume services for four categories after a "considered review of the security situation". However, India had outrightly rejected the claims, calling it 'absurd' and 'motivated'. Notably, Canada has not been able to present any evidence to back its claims over the killing, according to the MEA.
On November 12, Justin Trudeau had reaffirmed his allegation of Indian involvement in the killing of Hardeep Singh Nijjar. Trudeau had also accused New Delhi of violating the Vienna Convention by "kicking out" 40 diplomats at a time when his country had reached out to the former and other global partners to get to the bottom of the murder.