Police identify eighth alleged victim of accused serial killer Bruce McArthur

Published on : April 16, 2018 2:42




The man in a photo released last month by Toronto police as an alleged victim of accused serial killer Bruce McArthur has been identified.

Kirushna Kumar Kanagaratnam was believed to be killed sometime between Sept. 3 and Dec. 14, 2015, the Crown told reporters Monday morning.

Det-Sgt. Hank Idsinga will be updating reporters at Toronto police headquarters at 10:30 a.m., three days after police announced the identification of the man.

As part of the ongoing investigation into the alleged serial killer, police made the extraordinary move last month to release an image of a deceased man, with the aim to identify him.

More than 500 tips poured in, leading to 70 possible identities which a team of investigators ultimately whittled down to one.

“We are very happy and relieved that we’ve been able to identify him,” Idsinga said.

Police held back the deceased man’s identity Friday, saying they needed to get in touch with his family, and said any information about possible new charges will be released today.

The 66-year-old landscaper is currently facing seven first-degree murder charges in the deaths of Andrew Kinsman, 49; Selim Esen, 44; Majeed Kayhan, 59; Soroush Mahmudi, 50; Dean Lisowick, 47; Skandaraj “Skanda” Navaratnam, 40, and Abdulbasir Faizi, 42.

On Feb. 23, McArthur was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Navaratnam. That charge followed five others in connection with the disappearances of Kinsman and Mahmudi, as well as Selim Esen, 44, Majeed Kayhan, 58, and Dean Lisowick, 47.