Quebec Presses Forward With Cuts To Immigration, Despite Trudeau’s Concerns

Written by priyadarshinee

Published on : December 5, 2018 9:44




Quebec is moving forward with its plan to cut the number of immigrants by more than 20 per cent next year, despite concerns raised by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

The Coalition Avenir Québec government tabled details of its policy on Tuesday, confirming it will go ahead with a campaign promise to reduce the number of immigrants to 40,000 in 2019, down from more than 50,000 this year.

Immigration Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette said the government wants to make sure those who are coming will be better integrated into the workforce.

“What we want is to use our resources so that every person that chooses Quebec has a chance at success,” he said in the National Assembly.

At a news conference, Jolin-Barrette didn’t offer details about how the government will ensure more immigrants find jobs.

He also said a French language and values test, a contentious proposal put forward during the campaign, is still in the works.

Trudeau, earlier on Tuesday, suggested Quebec should rethink its plan to cut back on the number of immigrants it accepts each year.



Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*