The specifics of Toronto police’s largest-ever international narcotics bust have been revealed.




Toronto police's
Image Source - Google

On Tuesday morning, Toronto police announced the results of their largest-ever “international drug takedown.”

Investigators say the six-month investigation, dubbed “Project Brisa,” focused on an international drug-smuggling ring that used modified tractor-trailers with hidden compartments to transport more than 1,000 kilograms of drugs such as cocaine, crystal meth, and marijuana between Mexico, California, and Canada.

Chief James Ramer, along with members from the Ontario Provincial Police, York Regional Police, and the Canada Border Services Agency, attended a news conference regarding the bust on Tuesday. Ramer told reporters that the inquiry began in November of last year and that the amount of drugs found is “really astonishing.”

Police suspect the drugs originated in Mexico and made their way to the United States. Investigators noted in a news release that exporting the drugs was made possible by the installation of hydraulic traps in tractor-trailers, which allowed them to carry 100 kg in a single trip. According to investigators, even X-ray scans were unable to penetrate the traps.

During the inquiry, police said they identified a person known as the “Trap Maker,” who was reportedly in charge of building the secret compartments. According to authorities, a 43-year-old man from British Columbia who used that alias handed himself in to police in Toronto last week and has been charged with conspiracy to commit an indictable offense and participation in a criminal organization.

According to investigators, 182 charges have been filed in total, with 20 people arrested in connection with the probe. Two people are still missing. The recovered drugs are estimated to have a street worth of more than $61 million, according to police.