Trudeau looking abroad for ideas to curb gun violence




Trudeau says he's looking abroad for ideas on curbing gun violence

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today his government will look at best practices in other parts of the world for ideas on how to tackle gun violence in Canada.

Speaking in Toronto after the funeral service for 18-year-old Reese Fallon — who was killed in a July 22 mass shooting in the city’s Greektown — Trudeau praised the community’s strength and resilience in the aftermath of the tragedy.

“People need to be safe and we need to take the right measures to do that,” Trudeau said.

“And we’re looking at things that have been done around the world, things that have been done in other jurisdictions, looking at the best evidence, the best data, to make the right decisions to make sure that we are ensuring our citizens, our communities are safe into the future.”

The shooting has reignited the debate over gun control across the country. Last week, Toronto city council approved a motion urging the federal government to ban handgun sales in the city, and calling on the province to outlaw the sale of handgun ammunition in Toronto.

Asked if his government is considering a ban, Trudeau said he would not rule anything out.

“We’re looking at a broad range of things. We’re going to make the right decision for the long term, not just the short term,” he said.

Conservative public safety critic Pierre Paul-Hus said the Official Opposition will wait to see details of a possible handgun ban, but said he supports measures that target criminals, not the property of law-abiding sport shooters.

Trudeau paid his respects and placed flowers at the fountain at Toronto’s Alexander the Great Parkette, near the spot where people were gunned down and injured more than a week ago.

Fallon graduated from Toronto’s Malvern Collegiate Institute last month and was weeks away from starting nursing studies at McMaster University in Hamilton. Ten-year-old Julianna Kozis of Markham, Ont. was also shot dead in the same attack.

Thirteen other people are still recovering from varying degrees of injuries suffered when Faisal Hussain, 29, fired into restaurants and storefronts along Danforth Avenue.